Monday 29 April 2013

The day the POS went dark

 Even if all you want to do is shoot stuff, the upcoming resource balancing changes should be significant.  Today, I am pulling out my crystal ball.

I have been reading some items on the upcoming fuel changes.

From the shakeup blog : ... the maximum supply of ice from highsec (assuming that each belt is mined out completely five times a day) would provide approximately 80% of the game's ice needs. ...
highsec will still be a large exporter of ice products, being able to generate eight times the volume of isotopes used by highsec control towers.


I am unaware of the current amount of ice or ore mined outside of highsec (though I have read figures of 1% of ore in low).  I however expect that we will not see 100% utilisation of highsec ice fields.  If nothing else highsec suicide gankers will have valuable targets. 

I have read claims that there will be no more afk ice mining.  Mmm.  To me, it looks like a player needs to pay attention 2-3 times as often, in highsec at least. 

I expect that there will be an attempt to mine ice in lowsec.  There will definitely be null mined ice.  I have heard nothing about wormholes being able to mine the stuff (I can wish).


Upward pressures on ice prices, with :
  • need to scan anomalies rather than bot to the same place every time.
  • Some ice mining moving to low/nullsec and the potential of less botting there (though that might be a claim)
The obvious downward pressure on ice prices is the increased yield.

Some of your average highsec ... protected by concord miners are likely to be replaced with  null miners (though possibly alts of the same player).  New miners need new ships and fittings.  Slightly more ore consumed between now and Odyssey.

The links from the Mittani suggest that there will be demand for another 450 or so large caldari towers and modules. More PI demand as these get built.

There should also be a scramble in nullsec as the new profitable moons are fought over.

My crystal ball is murky as to what CCP mean when they say hisec can potentially supply 80% of the game's ice needs.  Are they referring to total demand of ice products, or to each isotope?

If CCP is restricting highsec by total ice, then I see Nitrogen Isotopes being in huge demand; with Caldari towers being the highsec research tower of choice as well as (as far as I know) the reactions tower of choice.   (The alternative is that CCP allows a lot more Caldari White glaze than the other racial ice types).

My crystal ball sees many Caldari towers going dark (possibly even ours), possibly replaced with other race's towers for cheaper fuel.  I also see a continued proliferation of abandoned (but otherwise sellable) POS.

Please note: This post is labelled speculative.  Let the trader beware.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posts older than 14 days are subject to moderation before being published. I do so sporadically. If you have a question regarding older posts, also evemail dotoo foo.

Blogger comments supports basic html. You can make a link 'clicky' by <a href="http://yoursite/yourpage">yoursite/yourpage</a>

While I currently accept anonymous users, please include a pseudonym. I get confused answering anonymous.

If the word verification is preventing you from adding a comment, please evemail DoToo Foo for alternative methods